Financial Support for International Conferences
JI Graduate Student Development Fund
The JI Graduate Student Development Fund is to support one graduate student to attend an international conference per faculty per year, with a financial support amount of up to 1000 USD.
- Applicants should be full-time graduate students at UM-SJTU Joint Institute;
- Applicants should obtain a formal invitation letter for the international academic conference, attend the conference at the conference venue, and give an oral or poster report at the conference;
- The international academic conference to be attended should be related to the applicant’s dissertation work, and the conference papers submitted should be related to the applicant’s dissertation work;
- Papers accepted by international academic conferences must be written with the applicant as the first author, or the supervisor as the first author, and the applicant as the second author, with Shanghai Jiao Tong University as the first affiliation, and only one person is sponsored for each paper;
- Applicants should have strong English communication skills;
- Applicants can receive sponsorship from this fund at most once during their study period, in principle;
- Students must initiate a funding application before attending the conference. If the funding is approved, the participants will be reimbursed after returning to mainland China. If the application for funding has been completed but the conference is not in compliance with the funding regulations, it will not be accepted.
Application Procedures and Materials:
- Applicants should log in to the “BPM” system (http://bpm.umji.sjtu.edu.cn/) before the conference is held, submit materials online and complete the application; materials to be provided include but are not limited to:
1) Abstract acceptance letter or official invitation letter issued by the conference organizer, and the email invitation letter must be signed and confirmed by the supervisor;
2) Proof of acceptance of conference papers (paper homepage or report abstract, conference website; applicant’s oral report schedule, detailed conference agenda, if not yet determined, can be supplemented when applying for reimbursement).
- The supervisor should review the materials submitted by the students, the form of participation, etc., and evaluate the role of the students’ participation in their academic development. The supervisor should also provide opinions on the level of the academic conference the student is participating in.
- The Graduate Education office shall review and confirm the basic information of the student, application materials, and supervisor’s opinions, and sign specific opinions.
- The Associate Dean of Graduate Program at JI is responsible for evaluating and approving applications.
Management and Use of the Fund
- The subsidized funds can only be used to reimburse the registration fees, travel expenses, visa fees, public miscellaneous expenses, insurance fees, etc. related to the sponsored students going abroad to participate in international conferences, and the use of funds must comply with the relevant rules and regulations of the University.
- After returning to university, students are also required to submit the “Summary Report”, along with conference photos, conference award certificates within one month after the conference ends.
- Students will be informed to apply for reimbursement via SJTU Finance System after the above materials are submitted. Students shall apply for reimbursement following rules by the JI Finance Office and the SJTU Financial and Planning Office.
- Those who falsify in the application materials and summary materials shall be dealt with in accordance with the relevant regulations of SJTU’s academic integrity, and the students involved will be disqualified from applying for international programs of the University.
- The Graduate Education Office is responsible for the interpretation of these management measures.
Any trip to outside of mainland China without SJTU’s approval could not be reimbursed. Please start your application for business trip on my.sjtu.edu.cn as early as possible.