|Ph.D.||Mechanical Engineering, CarnegieMellon University (1998)|
|M.S.||Mechanical Engineering, CarnegieMellon University (1993)|
|B.S.||Mechanical Engineering, IowaState University (1991)|
|2010 – pres.||Professor, Mechanical Engineering, UM-SJTU Joint Institute, SJTU|
|Professor, School of Mechanical Engineering, SJTU|
|2009 – 2010||Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Michigan State University, USA|
|2003 – 2009||Technical Fellow, Visteon Corporation, USA|
|2000 – 2003||Advanced Project Engineer, Delphi Corporation, USA|
|1998 – 2000||Project Engineer, General Motors Corporation, Delphi Corporation, USA|
- Fellow, SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)
- Shanghai 1000 Scholar Plan Award
- New Century Excellent Talents in University (NCET) Award, Ministry of Education, China
- SJTU Excellent Teaching Award – First Prize 2012
- SAE/InterRegs Standards & Regulations Award for Young Engineers
- SAE-International Engineering Meetings Board Outstanding Oral Presentation Award (Twice)
- SAE-International Henry Souther Standards Award
- SAE-International Technical Standards Board Outstanding Contribution Award
- D.L.S. Hung, H. Chen, M. Xu, H. Zhuang, J. Yang, “Experimental Investigation of the Variations of Early Flame Development in a Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection Engine,” ASME Journal of Engineering Gas Turbines & Power, 136, 101503 (2014). DOI:10.1115/1.4027256.
- H. Chen, D.L.S. Hung, M. Xu, H. Zhuang, J. Yang, “Proper orthogonal decomposition analysis of fuel spray structure variation in a spark-ignition direct-injection optical engine,“ Experiments in Fluids, 55:1703 (2014). DOI 10.1007/s00348-014-1703-y.
- H. Chen, D.L.S. Hung, M. Xu, J. Zhong, “A Dynamic Thresholding Technique for Extracting the Automotive Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection Pulsing Spray Characteristics,” Journal of Visualization, 2014 (In Press).
- H. Chen, D.L.S. Hung, M. Xu, J. Zhong, “Analyzing the Cycle-to-Cycle Variations of Pulsing Spray Characteristics by Means of the Proper Orthogonal Decomposition” Atomization and Sprays, 23 (7): 653–671 (2013).
- H. Chen, D. Reuss, D. Hung, V. Sick, “A practical guide for using proper orthogonal decomposition in engine research,” International Journal of Engine Research, 2013, DOI: 10.1177/1468087412455748.
- X. Chen, G. Zhu, X. Yang, D. L. S. Hung, and X. Tan, “Model-Based Estimation of Flow Characteristics Using an Ionic Polymer–Metal Composite Beam,” IEEE / ASME Transaction on Mechatronics, Volume: PP , Issue: 99 Publication Year: 2012 , Page(s): 1 – 12 (DOI: 10.1109/TMECH.2012.2194300)
- C.M. Allen, E. Toulson, D. L.S. Hung, H. Schock, D. Miller, T. Lee, “Spray Ignition Characteristics of Diesel and Canola Biodiesel in the Low Temperature Combustion Regime,” Energy & Fuels, 2011, 25 (7), pp 2896–2908.
- Ganley, T., Hung, D.L.S., Zhu, G., and Tan, X., “Temperature-Dependent Ionic Polymer-Metal Composite (IPMC) Sensing Dynamics: Modeling and Inverse Compensation,” IEEE / ASME Transaction on Mechatronics, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 80-89, February 2011.
- Hung, D.L.S., D. Harrington, A. Gandhi, L. Markle, S. Parrish, J. Shakal, H. Sayar, S. Cummings, J. Kramer, “Gasoline Fuel Injector Spray Measurement and Characterization – A New SAE J2715 Recommended Practice,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1): 534-548, 2008
- Y. Wang, X. Liu, K-S. Im, W-K. Lee, J. Wang, K. Fezza, D.L.S. Hung, J.R. Winkelman, “Ultrafast X-ray study of dense-liquid-jet flow dynamics using structure-tracking velocimetry,” Nature Physics 4, pp. 305 – 309 (2008)
1. Technical Session Organizer:
- ASME Internal Engineer Conference Fall Meeting (2014) (Fuel Tracks)
- SAE Powertrain Fuels and Lubricants Meeting with Japan SAE (2011), Korea SAE (2013)
- Fuel Injection and Sprays, SAE Powertrain, Fuels and Lubricants Meetings (2009 – present)
- HCCI Control, 2010 SAE World Congress & Exhibition
- Combustion Sensing and Control, 2009 SAE World Congress & Exhibition
2. Knowledge Dissemination:
- Member of the editorial board, Progress in Energy and Combustion Science
- Journal of Atomization and Sprays (5/2006 to 8/2008)
- Reviewer for Journal of Atomization and Sprays, AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, SAE Journals and Transactions; American Chemical Society – Proposal for Petroleum Research Fund.
3. Leadership in Professional Society:
- Vice-Chairman, SAE Gasoline Fuel Injection Standards Committee (2004 to present)
- Chairman, Western New York Section of SAE (2002 to 2003)
- National Natural Science Foundation of China
- General Motors Company (USA), Henkel Corporation, Nissan Motor Company
- Argonne National Laboratory (USA)
- SAIC Motor Corporation Limited, Great Walls Motors Company, JAC
- Auto Parts (HK) Industries Ltd, Hong Kong Automotive Parts and Accessories Systems R&D Center