|Ph.D.||Mechanical Engineering, University of Utah (2005)|
|M.S.||Department of Chemical Machinery, Dalian University of Technology (1996)|
|B.S.||Department of Chemical Machinery, Dalian University of Technology (1993)|
|2020 – present||Professor (Tenured), UM-SJTU Joint institute, Shanghai Jiao Tong University|
|2014 – 2019||Lecturer, City, University of London|
|2012 – 2015||Associate Professor, UM-SJTU Joint institute, Shanghai Jiao Tong University|
|2009 – 2011||Assistant Professor, UM-SJTU Joint institute, Shanghai Jiao Tong University|
|2006 – 2010||Research Assistant, University of Oxford, UK, Osney Thermo-Fluids Laboratory, Rolls-Royce University Technology Center.|
|2005 – 2006||Research Assistant Professor, University of Utah|
|2000 – 2001||Manager, WIKA Beijing Office (Germany instrumentation company)|
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of ASME
- Global Power & Propulsion Society (GPPS) Best Paper Award (2017)
- ASME Turbo Expo (Heat Transfer Committee) Best Paper Award (2016)
- Rolls-Royce Awards to Inventors Scheme (2014)
- City, University of London, Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering, Teaching Award (2016/17)
- ASME Journal of Heat Transfer Outstanding Reviewer Award (2012)
- Shanghai Pujiang Talent Award (2012)
- UM-SJTU JI outstanding research award (2011)
- Award of Merit Review, Oxford University (2007/08)
- Kexin Liu and Qiang Zhang, 2020, “A Novel Multi-Stage Impingement Cooling Scheme – Part I: Concept Study”, ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Aug 2020, 1-31.
- Xin Miao, Qiang Zhang, Chris Atkin, Zhengzhong Sun, Yansheng Li, 2018, “Improved Purge Air Cooling Effectiveness by Engineered End-Wall Surface Structure – Part II: Cascade Flow,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 140 / 091002-1
- Hongmei Jiang., Zhang Q, Lu S., Wang L, and Teng J, 2018, “Experimental Evidence of Temperature Ratio Effect on Turbine Blade Tip Heat Transfer,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, 140(12), 121010 (Nov 28, 2018).
- Qiang Zhang and Li He, 2017, “Turbine blade tip aero-thermal management: some recent advances and research outlook,” Journal of Global Power and Propulsion Society 2017;1:271–287. (GPPS 2017 Best Paper Award)
- Haiteng Ma, Qiang Zhang, Lipo Wang, Li He, Zhaoguang Wang, 2016, “Cooling Injection Effect on a Transonic Squealer Tip – Part 2: Analysis of Aerothermal Interaction Physics,” ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 137(6):062603-062603-7, GTP-14-1541. (ASME Turbo Expo 2016 Best Paper Award)
- Haiteng Ma, Zhaoguang Wang, Lipo Wang, Qiang Zhang, Zhong Yang, and Yi Bao, 2015, “Controlled Ramp Heating in Transient Thermal Measurement: Uncertainty Analysis and Application in High-Speed Experiment,” AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 32, No. 5 (2016), pp. 1190-1198.
- Xin Miao, Hongmei Jiang, Qiang Zhang, and Huan Qi, 2015, “Application of Riblets on Turbine Blade End-wall Secondary Flow Control,” AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power Vol. 31, No. 6 (2015), pp. 1578-1585.
- Qiang Zhang and Li He, 2013, “Tip-Shaping for HP Turbine Blade Aero-Thermal Performance management,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, 135(5) 051025-1-7, 2013
- Devin O’Dowd, Qiang Zhang, Li He, Brian Cheong, Ian Tibbet, 2013, “Aero-Thermal Performance of a Cooled Winglet Tip at Engine Representative Mach and Reynolds numbers,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, 135 , 011041-1-7
- Qiang Zhang, Devin O’Dowd, He, L., Wheeler A.P.S., Ligrani, P.M., and Cheong B.C.Y., 2011, “Over-tip shock wave structure and its impact on turbine blade heat transfer,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, October 2011, Vol 133, 041001-1-8
- Qiang Zhang, Devin O’Dowd, Li He, Martin Oldfield, and Phillip Ligrani, 2011, “Transonic Turbine Blade Tip Aero-thermal Performance with Different Tip Gaps: Part I—Tip Heat Transfer,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, October 2011, Vol 133, 041027-1-9
- Qiang Zhang and Phillip Ligrani, “Aerodynamic Losses of a cambered Turbine Vane: Influences of Surface Roughness and Freestream Turbulence Intensity,” ASME-Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 128, No. 3, pp. 536-546, 2006.
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications (2020-2023)
- Guest Editor, “Cooling/Heat transfer” Special Issue, Aerospace (ISSN 2226-4310), 2018-2020.
- ASME K-14 heat transfer division committee, ASME International Gas Turbine Institute (IGTI) Heat Transfer committee member (2011-present)
Courses Taught (Recent 5 Years)
- UM-SJTU JI: Vg 100 Introduction to Engineering; Vm 235 Theromodynamics; Vm 335 Heat Transfer; Vm395 Mechanical Engineering Lab I; Vm495 Mechanical Engineering Lab II; Vm532 Advanced convection
- City, University of London: ET1070 Thermodynamics; ME2109 Fluid Mechanics; AE3303 Aerodynamics and Propulsion